We’ve now reached the end of my rankings with my top 200 list.  I will provide a secondary post on Tuesday with comments on players I didn’t cover and any significant movement up or down my rankings, along players I’m targeting with my last few picks in the draft that didn’t crack my top 200 i.e. my favorite lottery tickets.  Without further adieu, my top 200:

1) Connor McDavid

195) Cam Fowler

196) Kyle Turris

197) Vince Dunn

198) Tomas Tatar

199) Joonas Korpisalo

200) Mikko Koskinen

And there you have it.  I will get that post out tomorrow about players I want to target in the last few rounds along with the big movers e.g. Dustin Byfuglien.  As always, feel free to ask any questions, leave any comments, or give any suggestions below.  Be sure to check out Sven’s team previews as well.  Thanks for reading and best of luck in your drafts!

1. Marco Aurelio Corrêa says:
    (link)

Hey Viz, big fan of your work, last year I got knocked down in the semi finals, but the results were amazing for me, lets see if I can finally win this year.
    So, my problem is strategy for the draft.
    My league has 16 teams.
    Players are 4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 2G
    Stats are G (4points), A (2points), PIM(0.5), PPG (1.5), PPA(1), SHG/SHA (2), FOW/FOL (0.1/-0.1), HAT (1), SOG(0.4), HIT (0.2), BLK (0.4). GS(0.5), W(3), L(-3), GA (-3), SV (0.4), SO (2), OL (-1.5)
    Do I focus on drafting wingers, specially RW, because they disappear quickly? D man also on the top? I never know when to draft goalies, around 3rd and 7th round is ok? There are any players I should fade or give special attention due it being a banger league?
    Thanks in advance

(link)

Hey Marco, first off, thank you very much for that, means a lot. I wouldn’t be worried too much about position scarcity, especially since a lot of the time centers end up getting winger eligibility or vice versa. Obviously center is the most stacked position, and you can maybe use winger over center as a tiebreaker, but I wouldn’t be moving guys up and down your rankings because of it.

My general though with goalies is besides Vasilevskiy who I would consider in the middle to back of round 2, I’d take one of the other top guys (2-4 in my ranks) in round 3, or one of the others in round 4-5. Then probably take another in the 7th-8th range depending on who falls. Getting volume is important given your setup, so I would slide a guy like Rask down because he doesn’t start as many games, as well as guys in timeshares, where I would boost guys like Grubauer and Fleury because they should be workhorses? I do like getting a couple defensemen earlier in this format because the dropoff is so steep at the position.

At the end of the day, I think, hits are a bonus here but not the end all, be all. Even 2 hits a game is quite a bit and that’s only equal to one shot on goal. Same goes for guys who are very good at faceoffs. I think the best way to use those categories is for defensemen. Since defensemen drop off quickly, getting guys who pile up hits and blocks there is a nice bonus and gives your some more options. Before your draft, I would go to hockey reference and look at hits and blocks from last season. See who among good players were really good or bad at either category, and take note of it. I think guys who get big PIM are very good here as our the top power play guys.

Guys who shoot the puck a ton are best here since goals are worth double an assist and you get the 0.4 for SOG. I’d be targeting guys with great shot rates that are featured on the power play. If they get PIM, that’s a great bonus.

2. Fungazi 2.0 says:
    (link)

I take it you aren’t concerned about Rantanen holding out? Marner and Point already taken care of, hope he’s next.

(link)

I just finished writing a post for tomorrow morning that covers the remaining RFA and my thoughts on the subject. Long story short, I’m not too concerned in Rantanen’s case because they aren’t that far apart and the Avalanche have a ton of cap space to get it done. Agree that those two should help, hopefully it gets Rantanen, Connor, Laine, Tkachuk, etc. back sooner than later.

3. Veritas says:
    (link)

Hey Viz, I read all of your and Sven’s posts but I ended having a really chaotic draft. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to steer the ship. I have Rantanen and looks like Palmieri to bench so I would have to pick up two players. I am a bit weak on shots and goals it seems

H2H Redraft Yahoo League. Categories are G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG and W, GAA, SV, SV%.

1. (5) Brad Marchand (Bos – LW)
    2. (20) Mikko Rantanen (Col – RW)
    3. (29) Blake Wheeler (Wpg – RW)
    4. (44) P.K. Subban (NJ – D)
    5. (53) Jake Guentzel (Pit – LW,RW)
    6. (68) Philipp Grubauer (Col – G)
    7. (77) Devan Dubnyk (Min – G)
    8. (92) Keith Yandle (Fla – D)
    9. (101) Jacob Trouba (NYR – D)
    10. (116) Antti Raanta (Ari – G)
    11. (125) Shayne Gostisbehere (Phi – D)
    12. (140) Anze Kopitar (LA – C)
    13. (149) Kyle Palmieri (NJ – RW)
    14. (164) Ryan Getzlaf (Anh – C)
    15. (173) Nico Hischier (NJ – C)
    16. (188) Nikita Gusev (NJ – LW)
    17. (197) Ondrej Kase (Anh – RW)

Top FAs

David Krejci Bos – C
    Micheal Ferland Van – LW,RW
    Andre Burakovsky Col – LW,RW
    Victor Olofsson Buf – LW,RW
    Alexandre Texier Cls – C,LW

(link)

Team looks pretty good Veritas, I think you got plenty of value. Olofsson are Texier are two of my favorite gambles, I have a piece coming out tomorrow talking about them. I’d be good with grabbing Olofsson and then probably Zucker for the shot boost. I may have some of those guys rated higher than those two, but for your team I like those guys. I wouldn’t mind grabbing Texier for Gusev either, but that’s a coin flip.

4. tbone says:
    (link)

Hunky Lunky is on there twice.

5. Tbone says:

Same with Duchene.

(link)

Shit, don’t know what happened. Will fix, thanks

6. donkeyy says:

No Timo Meier?

(link)

Shit, thanks for catching that. Must have got deleted somehow by mistake. Editing now but he’s easily top 50, I’m higher than consensus

7. Mr. A Knife says:
    (link)

you doing a 300 or deeper later? i got a 12’er sat that has 288 drafted (well we keep 7 so it’s 204 drafted but that’s how deep i’ll have to rank). i get that these won’t stretch into say 16-20 team sized leagues. it’s actually really hard to find any decent lists even up to 300 or so. dobber does a top 350 keeper league skaters (which of course isn’t the best thing for a non dynasty, even a partial keeper league (like 4-8) that’ll have names that aren’t relevant for this year at all, would of course be awesome for a medium sized start up dynasty though), and a top 100 roto (redraft) list, so you double them up for that one. i wouldn’t want to use like espn’s top lists like i had done years ago. dobber also does a pretty good job (at least this year) of mentioning which guys lose value for the extra categories.

– i do like how your team ranker guy shows prospects that don’t conform to the usual prospect lists, he’s showing ETA guys, not the best overall by some point. while the best overall by some point guys are what you’d want for deep dynasties, for deep redraft drafts or in season acquisitions his prospect lists per team are what’s needed.

(link)

No, I’m only going through 300, although my post tomorrow will cover 10 guys who I like for late round picks in 12’ers, which should hopefully give you some guys for 300 deep drafts. It’s just a lot of work for me as one person to do multiple lists for keepers and such, I put a ton of time into these rankings as is.

Yes, agreed with that, I talked to him about that and it makes sense for those formats to cover. If you go to his previews from last season, he covers the best overall guys, so no need for him to do that again.

8. Zenji says:
    (link)

Making my obligatory yearly post draft post. I’ve made 4-5 significant trades already since the draft but I’ll just show my team is it now stands.

Team: Flying Saucers

Morrissey
    Klefbom

Goalies:

Gibson
    Dubnyk
    Schneider

Thanks for checking out my team! Obvious don’t want to lose Buff but such is life. I’ve got Morrissey as a semi hand cuff and even have Risto and Faulk who have been the target of trade rumors involving Winnipeg. Either way they are both pretty productive guys in my format.

I’m oddly happy with my goaltending even though I could have two goalies on bad teams and Cory Schneider I’m just taking a shot on. He went undrafted an Blackwood is sitting in FA. I see you have Blackwood in your top 200, do you think he’s a better bet or stay with Schneider for now?

Kase is a on the wire if I want him but I have 3 Ducks already.

Input is appreciated but really just here to brag and also say thank you for all the years of fantasy hockey advice. I’m going for the three-peat and Razzball has been a huge help. This is the one thing I don’t tell anyone in my league about.

• Zenji says:

Shit, I also have Makar

(link)

Hey man, glad to hear from you! Team is looking very strong. It sounds like Blackwood is slightly preferred but you can go either way there, it’s close. I just prefer Blackwood. I’m fine with leaving Kase on the wire since he takes a hit in hits/blocks leagues. Don’t see a need, I’d probably give this team a few weeks and see how it starts. I really appreciate that, means a lot and people saying stuff like that makes me keep coming back. Best of luck for the 3 peat!

• Zenji says:
        (link)

Thanks Viz! Would you want to drop Schneider for Demko? Just now seeing how high on him you are. Man I forgot to mention I also have Tom Wilson, who I kept, he’s a stud in my league.

(link)

No problem! Wilson is amazing in this format, that’s a huge boost to an already great team you posted above.

I think Demko has more upside so I probably would gamble and make that swap since it’s your third goalie anyways.

9. Amory says:
    (link)

Hey man always love the content.

In a dynasty league I have the option to keep Clayton Keller, Quinn Hughes, or Trouba. I assume Keller has the most upside? I’ve seen varying opinions that he could be a superstar or just a pretty good guy on a bad team.

(link)

Thanks, appreciate it! This is pretty tough for me as I think Hughes should end up a #1D in time and probably not too far from now. Keller does have the most upside, and it’s hard to say a rookie is safer, but I think Hughes is. I probably go with Keller in case he gets back on track at evens and their PP takes off with Kessel arriving, but it is close

10. Gordon Holtby (Venice Canuck) says:
    (link)

Love your rankings and commentary. I had a standard Yahoo league draft last night (Goals (G), Assists (A), Plus/Minus (+/-), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shots on Goal (SOG), Hits (HIT)) and I am questioning my last pick – LeBanc. Considering Galchenyuk rather than LeBanc. Thoughts?ordon

(link)

Thanks, appreciate it! I slightly lean Labanc because his role on PP1 in SJ is locked in and he should get more ice time this year. However, I’m perfectly fine with taking a gamble on Galchenyuk and hoping he clicks with Malkin right away, there is more upside there. It’s just tough since he’ll get little PP time since Pitt uses their top unit so much and he’s not cracking their 5 options there.

11. Joe says:
    (link)

Auston Matthew’s at No. 14 is crazy. He should be #1. GO LEAFS!!!

(link)

Must have been a slow night at the office

12. Sha says:
    (link)

Corey Schneider was injured last year and is a bounce back cantidate. As a number one goalie, how come he doesn’t make top 200?

(link)

He’s been awful for three straight seasons, 14 games at the end of last season when the team was out of contention doesn’t move the needle. He also can’t stay healthy anymore. I much prefer to gamble on Blackwood than hoping Schneider bounces back after three seasons of well below average play. If you want to take him with one of your last couple picks, that’s fine, but otherwise I have little interest in Schneider. It’ll take a perfect storm from him to be valuable, mostly Blackwood being bad or getting hurt. It’s much more likely at this point that Schneider is the one who gets hurt or is bad.

13. gregjeffries says:
    (link)

Great stuff Viz! Thanks for the write up.
    You prefer Provorov or McDonagh as D4?

(I’m new to Fantasy Hockey this year, trying to get my learn on!)

(link)

Thanks, appreciate it! Can you get back to me with what categories your league uses and I can give you a definite answer? Also how many teams are in your league, I assume 10 or 12? I lean Provorov but it depends on your league format and what you’re looking for in that spot. Let me know and I’ll get back to you, thanks

14. gregjeffries says:
    (link)

Thanks! It’s a 12 team Head-to-Head.
    I’m still trying to figure everything out – fairly new to Hockey in general as well, (so not exactly sure what I’m looking for) but excited to figure this out!