It’s time to wrap up these rankings and move onto sleeper and schmohawk posts now that ADP data is readily available.  Today’s post will go from 101-200th overall, and you can read the top 100 here.  Let’s get right to it!

101) Mike Smith

131) Aaron Ekblad

132) Jake Muzzin

133) Anders Lee

134) Bo Horvat

135) Anthony Mantha

136) Andrei Svechnikov

137) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Note: big jump for RNH because all indications are that RNH will play on McDavid’s left wing)

138) Patric Hornqvist

139) Colin Miller

140) Morgan Rielly

141) Ryan Johansen

142) Travis Konecny

143) James Neal

144) Ryan Suter

145) Rasmus Dahlin

146) Jake Gardiner

147) Nazem Kadri   (Note: I was going to move him up, but early indications are that Toronto is going to load up their top PP unit.  Sounds like Kadri could be the odd man out which hurts his value quite a bit.)

148) Nolan Patrick

165) Jake Guenztel

166) Jordan Eberle

167) Chris Kreider

168) Robin Lehner

169) Darnell Nurse

170) Elias Pettersson

171) Wayne Simmonds (Note: a long time favorite in these parts, Simmonds looks to be locked into the third line and quite possibly off PP1.  Barring an injury, I’m not sure he’ll be more than a streamer this year.  I could see dropping him even lower.)

172) Kevin Fiala (Note: he might end up switching spots with Arvidsson; if that sticks I’m sliding Fiala up even more)

173) Semyon Varlamov

195) Ty Rattie

196) Paul Stastny

197) Nick Schmaltz

198) Duncan Keith

199) Jimmy Howard

200) Craig Anderson

That’s all for now guys.  Please leave any feedback that you have below.  Thanks for reading, take care!

1. MarvPesos

marv says:

Viz,

10-tm H2H cat Keeper (keep10), stats (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG), (W, GAA, SV, SHO), 25 moves per year MAX, no streaming

C, C, C, LW, LW, LW, RW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, Util, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

We keep 10 keepers and you can only keep 2 goalies max (out of the 10). So far I have the following 7 guys locked in but having trouble with the rest:

B. Marchand (LW), J. Tavares (C), J. Benn (C, LW), P. Kessel (RW), A Barkov (C), J. Quick (G), A. Raanta (G)

Need to keep (3) from the list below. Please note that I’m missing my first 5 rounds of picks (traded away) so these last three guys will be the last bit of talent I see (it’s going to be a tough year).
    P.K Subban (D), J. Klingber (D), J. Huberdeau (LW), S. Gostisbehere (D), A. DeBrindecat (LW, RW), M. Stone (RW), J. Pavelski (C, RW)

Lastly, I have A. Raanta as my second Goalie but could also keep H. Lundqvist. I assume Raanta is the better pick long term ?

Best regards,
    Josh

(link)

@marv: Hey Josh, hope all is well! Your team is looking damn good. The easy part is that I’m definitely keeping Raanta. Better team right now, younger, etc.

I would honestly lean towards keeping all three defensemen. Subban is a no-brainer here. I’d be between Klingberg, Gostisbehere, DeBrincat, and Pavelski otherwise. I think defensemen is a cesspool right now, so getting to keep 3 of my top 7 is amazing. You already have an excellent start at the forward spots, and I feel much better about you being able to get late round value at F. They’re also both young (advantage on Pavelski) and have proven track records (advantage on DeBrincat). Gostisbehere is also in line for a big role increase this year which is exciting. I’d take those three and run with it.

• MarvPesos

marv says:
        (link)

@Viz: Thanks bud, I was honestly leaving the same way but I always find it hard keeping 2 defense, let alone 3. haha thanks again, good luck with the writing this season, i’ll be reading !

(link)

@marv: Haha I hear you. It was never my norm, but I feel like now that the top D bring a lot more value than in the past, both in terms of overall and in comparison to the lower level guys at the position. Most of my leagues that are 9-10 keepers now I am keeping 2D, and if I had 3 of your caliber I would probably do it.

Thanks a lot, appreciate that!

2. goodfold2 says:
    (link)

which of these sounds better on that 14 team league from last post (could copy/paste it here if need be),

1. trade sprong for the 2.10 (24th overall) pick, drop roy D SJ and draft 6 guys for prospect slots, also would have to drop t.thompson in this version (donato stays on active roster)

2. drop donato to prospect list, promote sprong, drop t.thompson. sprong has too many games to keep down, donato could stay down though. guy willing to trade 2nd rounder for sprong not interested in thompson

(link)

@goodfold2: Man, these both suck, especially having to drop Thompson, I think there’s some real long term upside there. I think Sprong is more valuable than 2.10, so I guess I’d drop Donato down for now.

3. mike says:
    (link)

I have the 10th pick in a 12 team fantrax snake roto draft. They don’t divide by centers and wingers, just 5 forwards, 3 defense, 2 goalies. Cats are G, A, PPP, Hits, SOG, and +/- for skaters, and wins, GAA, save %, and shutouts for goalies. At pick 10, would you draft goalie with first two picks or just load up on forwards for 3 rounds. Since I’m picking so low, I’ll be weak somewhere so maybe just draft a clear strength at goal or forward? Thanks

(link)

@mike: I would never take a goalie in the first two rounds of a 12 team league, so I would definitely be going forward or D with your first two picks and deciding from who is left on the board in round 3.

4. slimbo says:

whats up man

gotta keeper question

we keep 8
    Tarasenko, Lopitar, Marner, Subban

which 4 would you keep from the rest
    B Scheen, pacioretty, Galchenuk, mittelsadt, Dubnyk, Saros, Sergachev

thanks

(link)

@slimbo: Hey man, this depends a bit on your categories and how long you can keep the player. I’d say Dubnyk, Patches, and Schenn are near-locks in all formats, and from there it depends on what you’re working with, but I’d probably go with Mittelstadt but it’s close.

5. LG Hockey says:

Viz!

Looking forward to another season! H2H league where we can keep 6. Let me know if you agree with the following:
    Kucherov, Pasternak, Herdman, Marchsseault, Hellebyck, Scheifele

Other keeper options: Bergeron, Krug, Trochek, Reilly, Tkachuk, Dadonov

Thanks!
    LG

(link)

@LG Hockey: Hey LG, hope all is well! What are your categories again? Those would be the six I would lean towards, although I could possibly see a scenario where I drop Marchessault out (the other 5 are locks). Let me know and I’ll confirm, thanks!

• LG Hockey says:

@Viz: categories are:
        Skaters:
        Goals, Assists, Points, +\-, PIM, SOG

Goalie:
        Wins, GAA, Sv %, Shut-outs

Thanks again!
        LG

(link)

@LG Hockey: This is so close between Marchessault, Bergeron, and Trocheck. I kind of want to go Trocheck because of his age, but I think I’ll stick with Marchessault because he gets somewhat of a boost without PPP. Trocheck and Bergeron kill it there, while Marchessault is average, so he gains a little on both guys. Hope that helps.

• LG Hockey says:

@Viz: Viz,

Sorry man. PPP is also a category. Thinking that changes the 6th keeper potentially to Trocheck? Let me know

Thanks!

LG

(link)

@LG Hockey: I would lean with Trocheck that way, yet. I have these guys ranked right next to each other in my rankings so I’ll take the slightly younger guy. You really can’t go wrong either way here (or Bergeron for that matter).

6. jason batteiger says:
    (link)

same 20 team dynasty with the extra stats, i need PIT minimums. draft over, i got some more prospects (tkachuk, bouchard, sikura)

C: crosby, malkin, turris, couture (LW)
    LW: meier, burakovsky (RW), rust (RW), fiala (RW)
    RW: kessel, hornqvist, tuch, rattie, sprong,
    D: letang, maata, goligoski, pulock (in season i’ll have 7 total, at least 1 be a streamer),bouchard,
    G: murray, lehner, jarry
    IR+ chychrun, fabbri
    prospect list: will before season starts need to call up to team page (could go in NA slots if they can be at that time): mcleod, c.white, kaprizov, c.desmith, sikura (and bouchard/tkachuk if they get sent down).

1. if sikura stays up do i have a drop?
    2. drop anybody for nichuskin (drafted, but then dropped surprisingly)

(link)

@jason batteiger: The only guys you can consider are Rust, Rattie, and Burakovsky. It sounds like Sikura is going to make the team but on the third line because Q is an idiot and wants to play Kunitz on the first line, so that’s not really appealing. It sounds like Rust is going to start on the 4th line, but regardless he’s a lock in the bottom six with no PP time, so I guess the drop is him.

Nichushkin didn’t really show much in his time here to think he’s going to be anything special. If you want to gamble on him, it’s dropping one of the guys above (I guess Burakovsky).

• jason batteiger says:
        (link)

@Viz: yeah but we have hits here and i need PIT players, so for both reasons rust’s value is up (also just like a week ago i saw depth charts with sprong somewhere else and rust on crosby’s line, last year rust went from 1st to 4th line all the time, so he moves (or did anyway)). ok, sikura on CHI’s 3rd line sounds pretty gross, unless he’s a hits/blocks type or PIMs or something. burakovsky is weak in that stuff obviously. dailyfaceoff does have sprong 1st, rust 4th, RR has rust 1st still. everybody shows bura and sikura on shit lines, and bura no longer on PP. sikura on a PP2.

so right now i have the 10 PIT guys (need 8, NA slots don’t count, so even if i let desmith sit in one he doesn’t), but sprong could go down yet again. also added boychuk from FA.

(link)

@jason batteiger: I would be stunned if Rust is on the first line. Q pisses me off, and it looks like Sikura is going to get shafted to start the year. I don’t see how Bura forces his way into the top six barring injury, so I wouldn’t have a problem letting him go if that’s the route you want to go.

• jason batteiger says:
            (link)

@Viz: no need for below, i refreshed and it appeared to have not shown up, but did.

7. jason batteiger says:

8. TheFrazzle says:

Hi Viz,

Excited to start up my first season back to fantasy hockey in about 10 years. I have taken on the responsibility of being the commissioner in our league and am curious what you feel is the best scoring system so I can run the most effective and fair hockey league for my friends to enjoy.

Knowing that there is no exact PURE and PERFECT scoring system, I am just curious on a few things that you feel in your opinion based off of your experience.
    1. Points or Categories?
    2. If Points, how do you score?
    3. If Cats, which categories to use?
    4. Roster positioning?

Just curious mainly on these four points. I already am sure that I want my league to be H2H instead of Rotisserie. All feedback is appreciated before we get the NHL season started!
    Thank you.

(link)

@TheFrazzle: Hey, thanks for asking and coming to the site! These are obviously my personal preference but:

I would do categories. I have not found one point system that I like.

It depends on what you want to do but for Razzball leagues, we use 6 offense and 3 goaltending categories: Goals, assists, plus-minus, shots on goal, penalty minutes, and special teams points. Then GAA, sv%, and wins. I would not use any other goaltending categories. If you want to add extra categories like blocks, faceoffs, you can, but I personally don’t like them.

I like to use 9 forward spots, 5 defenseman, a utility, two starting goalies, and 5 bench spots. Add 2-3 IR spots as well. Hope this all helps.

• TheFrazzle says:

@Viz: Viz,

Thank you much! If you had to choose one; would you choose blocks or hits in order to give a little more relevance to those non point scoring defense men. Also, how do you feel about PPP or Points? I figure if I add a defensive stat like blocks or hits, that I would balance this with one of these two (PPP or Points).

Thanks again, very helpful.

9. Shitwolf says:
    (link)

hey bro my drafts coming up and the new stats for goalies are wins sv% gaa and shutouts… only 4!

Whats the draft play here… go 1 high goalie? or wait and get a Grabeur or Raanta later and stack high end… im drafting 3 D early and streaming for blks/hits/pims

also hey hi whats the word? hows life?

(link)

@Shitwolf: Hey wolf, how goes it? I think getting one goalie high is a pretty good plan given how quick the position drops off, but I’d do what the draft brings you, don’t reach for one. I definitely like getting D early, it gets ugly fairly quickly.

Things are going well man, no complaints at all. Hope the same for you!

10. Bobbyboom says:

12 team keeper league

Scoring:
    Goals (G), Assists (A), Points (P), Plus/Minus (+/-), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shots on Goal (SOG), Hits (HIT)

Get 2 keepers.
    Keeping Tarasenko. Need help with the other:

Kuzo or Evander? Also have Pavelski but passing, hes on decline. Thoughts on Evander with EK now on team, good bump no?

Leaning Kuzo atm he will come off in 4th round but Evander would come off in 10th round. Thanks

(link)

@Bobbyboom: I’d definitely go with Kane, he’s better value in round 10, especially with the inclusion of hits, another category that he crushes.

Comments are closed.